Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Bit about Banksias

These are perfect shapes for screenprinting. Chunky, clean lines, can be stylized very simply and have really interesting shapes of leaves, flowers and seed pods.  There is one species around my way - Banksia integrifolia - with smooth leaves and small seed pods. Much loved by the local Little Wattle Birds and Rainbow Lorikeets (and also the fruit bats at night) especially now they are flowering.


But my favourite is Banksia serrata - occurs on Moreton Island (must write a post about that one day). This is the one that must have influenced May Gibbs drawings of the big bad Banksia men in Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.





Evil!

I also had banksias growing where I lived at Bendigo - not sure what species.

 

Not happy with my attempts to capture the essence in a print so far - I think this might be my next project :-)
It's also been an inspiration for well known designers/screenprinters - Julie Paterson of Cloth and Nicola Cerini.

1 comment:

edward and lilly said...

I love the print on red. When I was little snugglepot and cuddlepie was one of my fave books and whenever I'd walk past a banksia (which was alot) I'd always get the creeps!