Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kangaroo Paw Time

The Kangaroo Paw is in flower again. These are photos I took last year of some planted by the Council just down the road from me. You can see why they are called Kangaroo Paw - both the shape and the furry texture of the plant (but maybe not the colour).

I can't believe 12 months have gone by. I was full of good intentions to design a Kangaroo Paw print but nothing has happened yet.... Where does the time go. Maybe in the next twelve months....

I love when the flowers open up. Just perfect for a stencil print

Of course there are lots of other colours. Here are some from my sister's native plant nursery in Tasmania.


Many Australian textile designers/screenprinters have been inspired by this spectacular plant. Here are a few of their interpretations

CLOTH

INK AND SPINDLE

STILELEMENTE

Have I missed any?

1 comment:

gaby@stilelemente said...

Hi Helen and thanks so much for including my 'kangaroo paw' design in your post. It is honestly my all time favourite Australian native and I'm lucky to be growing some in my own garden. I love the designs by both Cloth and Ink & Spindle and it just shows you how diverse our creative vision is... can't wait to see your design when you get around to it :)