Saturday, December 17, 2011

New Zealand Botanicals

I've been in Rotorua visiting jc and of course I had to check out the screen printing scene in NZ. I have followed Ingrid Anderson's work for a while now and love the simplicity of her work. Here's her take on the NZ Cabbage Tree

Her designs are featured on the usual homewares - tea towels, cushions etc but also on wood. Here is one of her wooden gift tags - the Pohutukawa (NZ Christmas Tree) (produced by tikitibu)

I discovered these in one of the many galleries visited and in another I came across work by Melina Martin, screenprinter based in Wellington. This is her Pohutukawa - on a cotton table runner.

And one more - discovered at the Rotorua Museum- Moa Revival which features artist Celia Allison's screen printed designs. So simple! I'm going to experiment and make these into wall hangings.

 And all three of these typical NZ plants were flowering for me. I am inspired again.

1 comment:

tigrrlily said...

I love Melina Martin's work.