Thursday, August 30, 2012

Market Bag or Library Bag?

I discovered this great tutorial on making totes from tea towels on Helen Rawlinson's blog. My teatowels are really too small but I decided to try out the idea using some heavy cream cotton printed with my designs. It was a bit of mucking around especially as I do not have an overlocker so used french seams to achieve a finished off look (haven't done them since school days!). And here is the result. I didn't get the size right for the first one (too narrow) so decided that will be my library bag.


The second attempt was more successful with plenty of room for goodies from the local farmers market.

It was also a good test to see which of my designs would work as repeats (they weren't planned with that in mind but some work quite well). There is really too much work and fabric in these totes to make them a worthwhile proposition to sell - but they will make nice presents.

No comments: